Thursday 24 May 2007

Be more than you're paid for



I'm a big fan of multi-disciplinary-ism, my first job out of college was working for a very small technology start-up and they went out of their way to hire people with potential and allow them to diversify their skills. In the nearly three years I was there I worked in 3 different departments and had at least 4 different job titles. I went in as a monkey level coder and ended up involved in product management, usability, QA, marketing, public relations and advertising.

If you encourage people to take an interest in other people's departments you end up with a team that can cover for each other's holidays and illnesses, help each other in busy times and potentially saves you hiring additional staff or temps to cover. Meanwhile your staff feel that they're actually progressing and learning new skills.

No comments: